My Photo
Name:
Location: Lalaquiz, Piura, Peru

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Preparation

6.20.06
Though my journey to Peru doesn't officially begin until tomorrow, I am already facing my first challenge: How do I pack two years of my life into one suitcase??? It's a bit more difficult than I had thought as it can weigh no more than 50 lbs. But in any case, I'm just about ready to begin the adventure.

24 hours from now I will be in Washinton D.C. for a short orienation before flying to Lima, Peru on Friday(6/23). I'm trying to take advantage of the last few days here at home, saying a lot of good bye's and making final preps. I still have yet to wrap my mind around the fact that I'll be away for over two years (although I know it will pass by ridiculously quickly), but I'm ready to get rolling! Here is a bit of info... which answers about 90% of the questions that people ask:

Location: I'll spend the first ten weeks in Santa Eulalia which is a 45 minute drive north east of Lima. I will then be placed in community-yet to be determined-for the following two years.

Job Title: Small Business Promoter In short, I'll be working as a consultant with small business owners and artisan groups.

Mail: For the first ten weeks I will most likely have access to e-mail. My mailing address for that time is:
PCT Ryan Nelson
Cuerpo de Paz
Calle Vía Láctea 132
Urb. Los Granados, Surco
Lima 33, Perú
(word is that mail takes a good while to make it to and from Peru)


Basic Peru Facts:
Population: 28,302,603
Land Boundaries: Bolivia 900 km, Brazil 1,560 km, Chile 160 km, Colombia 1,496 km (est.), Ecuador 1,420 km
Capital: Lima
Religions: Roman Catholic 81%, Seventh Day Adventist 1.4%, other Christian 0.7%, other 0.6%, unspecified or none 16.3% (2003 est.)
Unemployment: 8.7% in metropolitan Lima
Population below poverty line: 52%
(see http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/pe.html for more info)

Also check out http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=learn.wherepc.LatinAmerica.Peru to see what the Peace Corps is doing in Peru.

My plan is to update this at least once each week as the adventure unfolds. As I stated earlier, I should have e-mail access frequently thoughout the next 10 weeks... so don't hesitate to shoot me a message!

1 Comments:

Blogger Benito R. said...

Good luck, I'm a Peruvian-American born and raised in New York City. I travel there pretty frequently for friends and family, you can definetly hope for a kick ass time.

dec/jan - try to hit the beaches south of lima up

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home