My Photo
Name:
Location: Lalaquiz, Piura, Peru

Monday, December 11, 2006

December

I’m updating this blog with two new entries. I had intended to post the first a couple weeks ago, however I mistakenly downloaded a virus on my laptop and was unable to connect to the internet. I’ll try to be a bit more consistent with the entries!

Here are a few random thoughts from the previous couple weeks:

The past couple weeks have actually been quite eventful. First, I had a meeting with the director of PROMEB which is the NGO that constructed the computer center in Tunal. They are primarily working with primary school education. They work is seven location in the District of Lalaquiz. I met with them to discuss ways in which we can work together in Tunal. As a result of the meeting as well as appointment by the district mayor I will be in charge of running the computer center for the months of January and February (summer vacation for the students). I’ll be teaching three courses three times a week…enough to keep me pretty busy. I’m not quite sure I’m ready for all of that… but I’m definitely ready to do something productive.

The ribbon cutting ceremony for the computer center was also this past week. Unfortunately the internet didn’t work that day, and actually hasn’t been working since then either. A bunch of community members, teachers, municipality workers, and reps from PROMEB came for the day. I though I might be able to get through the ceremony without having to speak…. But it seems that they always find a way to make the ‘gringo’ talk. You would think by now I’d have some generic speak made up that I could just slightly modify for each event… but I don’t. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve been put on the spot. By now, though, I really don’t even get embarrassed. I guess it’s because I’ve spent the past six months using bad grammar and asking people to repeat themselves time and time again…basically looking like a fool… it’s been a great lesson in humility!

I’ve been spending a lot of time with the kids in Town. We’ve been playing a game called QUIWI which, without going into depth, is similar to dodge ball. I’ve also learned how to play Jacks, which is crazy popular with the little girls. Mom and Dad sent me a couple footballs a few months ago which have also been a hit. The kids are always asking me when we’re going to play futbol Americano. Not that we really play the game… but they like to see me throw it as far as I can. They then fight for the ball until one of them successfully returns it to me… maybe more like a variation of smear the queer than football.

Last night I went to a fiesta in a nearby pueblo with a couple friends from the medical center. The town is an hour’s walk down the mountain and two hours returning. We left in the evening at 7ish arriving around 8. We had dinner there and then spent hours conversing and dancing. We ended up leaving at 3am. The climb back up the mountain is ridiculously steep, thus taking so long. We climbed for an hour until we were pretty exausted, and decided to take a quick nap. We slept on the side of the trail for a couple hrs until 6am. I remember a couple times waking up to see a donkey pass beside us... We finally arrive in Tunal at 7am. It was really a crazy 12 hrs. A lot of fun, but pretty tiring!


In other news, I’ve finally moved in with the family. I had high hopes….until I tried to sleep the first night… my room doesn’t have a door, but rather a sheet separates it from the adjacent room…where a 1.5 yr old baby sleeps/doesn’t sleep. That plus the neighborhood gang of dogs and the donkeys has really put my sleeping ability to the test. I’m half glad to be with the family because I’m able to practice my Spanish a lot more, and it’s fun to be around more people, but on the other hand, the house is crazy. Right now there are 10 people living in this house… and it’s not big. I’ve tried to make myself not really care about having no privacy… but I haven’t been so successful!!

Overall things are going really well. The longer I’m here, the more people I meet, and the more comfortable I feel. It’s a bit tough right now being that it’s Christmas season, but what can ya do? I’ve been avoiding listening to Christmas song because they make me miss sharing this time of the year with friends and family. It looks like I’ll be spending Christmas in site and possibly new years in Piura city.

The next major event here is the graduations from primary and secondary schools. I was every so kindly asked to be the godfather of the graduating class in the primary school which means that I have to buy each kid a present, provide cake for 60 people, and rent sound equipment. For the gift I’ve taken photos of each kid on which I wrote their name and graduating year. Mom put the pics in frames and sent them here. We’ll see how the rest goes!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Benae said...

HI Ryan. I have been enjoying hearing of your incredible experience. I've been meaning to write. This whole "blog" thing is new to me, but I decided to jump in.

Your travels and daily work fascinate me. I read with wide eyes and a smile about your travels to the fiesta and sleeping by the road as donkeys passed. I'm sure you are quite an inspiration to the children.
Thinking of you...

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home