My Photo
Name:
Location: Lalaquiz, Piura, Peru

Friday, September 15, 2006

Reality Sets In

I’ve made it through possibly the most difficult period of Peace Corps service… the first 10 days on site. It seemed like a month, but all in all was a good experience. The first couple days were pretty depressing, as they would be in any new place with no familiar faces, but I was able to make a lot of good connections and meet a variety of people. I visited all of the classes in the local schools on the first day with a doctor from Lima. She was screening the students for Epilepsy. Apparently it is fairly common and is caused by eating undercooked pork. There are worms that spread throughout the body and actually in to the brain, eating holes in the tissue… good thing I’ve had pork for just about every breakfast to date!

It just so happens that I arrived at a very busy time of the year (mostly because elections are coming up in November, and the mayor is trying to realize as many projects as possible!). I attended a soccer tournament a few days back which symbolized Lalaquiz’s first ever participation in Peru’s version of the world cup. Each town has its own team which plays teams in other districts all throughout the country until there is one final champion. Interestingly enough, there was a ceremony before the start of the first game. Each team was presented with a certificate by a representative from various organizations. It just so happens that out of the blue they elected me to present the certificate to my town here and give some words. This would be startling enough if it had been in English, let along in a language that I have far from mastered!!! I stumbled through a few sentences in front of the 200-300 onlookers and took my seat.

I have already been asked to be the Padrino for a group of children. This means that I am in charge of organizing a big fiesta in December for students graduating from primary school. There are sixteen in total. I also must buy a small gift for each one. I figure it’s just another way I can get to know some of the kids… just with a little higher price tag!

This week is also the big festival week for my town, Tunal. Thursday and Friday are the big days with dances and festivities. Today (Thursday) I participated in the ‘running of the bull’ which is a custom where the people walk a bull though every street in the town along with a small marching band. They dance an drink throughout the precession and when the final destination is reached they slaughter the bull. I was sure to take plenty of photos. It’s times like this that it really hits me that I’m in Peru!!

Over all I’m extremely satisfied with where I’ll be for the next couple years. I have yet to move in with my host family, which is kind of a pain, but I’m beginning to feel at home. The whole Spanish speaking thing is coming along. Even in one week I’ve learned a lot. I am definitely becoming more confident in that respect. It has definitely been interesting being completely detached from the rest of the world. I believe I will definitely enjoy my visits to the big city, to catch up on the rest of life!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home